Anatomy Lab #7 – Urinary & Reproductive Systems Name ___________________
Text Book Reference: Chapters 19, 20, & 21
Lab Manual Exercises: 38 & 40
Bonus Lab Reports: 38 & 40
Goals for this lab:
1. Identify the appropriate organs & structures on the models listed on table #1
Part I: Urinary system
1. What is the nephron?
Functional unit of each kidney
2. Name the 3 layers / structures that filter the blood plasma as it becomes the filtrate in the renal tubules.
Endothelial fenestrations, basement membrane, slit membranes between podocyte feet
3. Name the parts of the renal tubule from Bowman's capsule to the papillary ducts.
Proximal convoluted tubule, ascending & descending loops of Henle, Distal convoluted tubule, Collecting ducts
4. What is the difference between the glomerular capillaries & the peritubular capillaries?
Glomerular capillaries are located in Bowman’s capsule – blood is filtered. Peritubular capillaries surround the renal tubules reabsorbing molecules from the tubules back into the blood
5. What blood vessel brings blood into the glomerular capillaries? What blood vessel drains blood away from the glomerular capillaries?
Afferent arteriole, Efferent arteriole
6. What three structures filter blood plasma into filtrate?
Endothelial fenestrations of the glomerular capillaries, basement membrane, & slit membranes formed between the pedicels of podocytes
7. What cell is responsible for the secretion of H+?
8. What cell is responsive to ADH?
9. What cells make up the juxtaglomerular apparatus? Whe...