Functional Health Patterns Community Assessment Guide
Functional Health Pattern (FHP) Template Directions:
This FHP template is to be used for organizing community assessment data in preparation for completion of your collaborative learning community (CLC) assignment. Address every bulleted statement in each section with data or rationale for deferral. You may also add additional bullet points if applicable to your community.
• Predominant ethnic and cultural groups along with beliefs related to health. o Hispanic- will seek medical advice but the care may involve the entire family. They do use home remedies to cure certain illness. o Caucasian- seek medical advice
• Predominant spiritual beliefs in the community that may influence health. o
• Availability of spiritual resources within or near the community (churches/chapels, synagogues, chaplains, Bible studies, sacraments, self-help groups, support groups, etc.). o There are many churches located readily throughout the city of Phoenix. There are self-help groups and support groups also. o
• Do the community members value health promotion measures? What is the evidence that they do or do not (e.g., involvement in education, fundraising events, etc.)? o No, they do not value health promotion measures. According to www.clrsearch.com, a survey done in 2010 23.17% of the population completed high school, 23.78 completed some college and 17.88% have a bachelor. • What does the community value? How is this evident?
o Family time- Parents are involved in taking their children to sport events • On what do the community members spend their money? Are funds adequate? o Housing. Yes.
• Predominant health problems: Compare at least one health problem to a credible statistic (CDC, county, or state). Heart disease total deaths in 2008 =3705 http://www.azdhs.gov/plan/report/epitrans/epitrans08.pdf (48/70), cancer deaths in 2008=1517 http://www.azdhs.gov/plan/report/epitrans/epitrans08.pdf (53/70), • Obesity= 20-24% http://www.azdhs.gov/plan/report/ahs/ahs2010/pdf/5e13.pdf • Immunization rates (age appropriate). The 2010 U. S. Census shows Arizona's population to be 6,392,017. ASIIS contains over 4,875,000 individuals including 2,339,981, 89 % of children under 18 years are vaccinated. http://www.azdhs.gov/phs/asiis/pdf/TAPIstats_September2011.pdf • Appropriate death rates and causes, if applicable. http://www.azdhs.gov/plan/report/ahs/ahs2010/pdf/5e13.pdf Rate based on population of 100,000
Cardiovascular disease 178.4 deaths in 2010
Malignant neoplasms 144.3 deaths in 2010
Chronic lower respiratory disease 38.3
Alzheimer’s disease 43.6
Cerebrovascular disease 28.4
• Prevention programs (dental, fire, fitness, safety, etc.): Does the community think these are sufficient? • Available health professiona...