AP Psych Development Webquest
Development… what can go wrong?
1. What is a teratogen? Agents and conditions, including viruses, drugs, chemicals, stressors, and malnutrition, which can impair prenatal development and lead to birth defects or even death
2. Name some psychoactive drugs: Alcohol, tobacco, marijuana, cocaine, heroine
3. What do psychoactive drugs do in terms of development? They slow down fetal growth and increase the risk of premature labor
4. What is FAS? Fetal Alcohol Syndrome What are the specific effects of FAS on development? Abnormal facial characteristics, slow physical growth, and retarded mental development
PIAGET and COGNITIVE Development
Go to the website below to complete the PsychSim for “Cognitive Development”. http://bcs.worthpublishers.com/gray/content/psychsim5/launcher.html There are 37 slides.
Be sure to read all of them.
Questions come up in order, but there is
not a question for every slide.
1. Piaget shaped the study of
2. According to Piaget, how do we “make sense of the world”? By organizing what we know into a mental framework known as a schema
3. Why do our schemas have to change?
As our world becomes more complex and we face larger challenges, we are forced to change our schemas to adapt to these complex problems.
4. We redefine our schemas in two ways. List them both and define each in six words or less. ...