1. Why does English have a large vocabulary compared to other languages? Please give reasons to support your argument. (1) its extensive廣泛contacts with other languages.
(2) the large numbers of people all over the world use it.
(3) the increasingly many purposes for which is used.
2. Do you agree that “what a word means today is what it meant in the past?” Please explain what etymology詞源學can help with today’s meaning of a word.
I don’t agree because language would change gradually as the time went by. It would cause semantic and meaning change.The study of etymologies may throw light on how a present-day meaning developed or reveal something about the working of the human mind, but it doesn’t help in determining what a word means today.
3. What is language? Please define what language is.
Language is the usage of people who speak the language. A language is a system of conventional vocal signs by means of which human beings communicat...