Identification of Unknown
Dr. Mohammed Golam Rasul
• Study the various qualitative tests of carbohydrates.
• Identify an unknown carbohydrate.
• Organic compounds composed of C, H and O with H
and O present in the same ratio as in water.
• Example: Glucose C6H12O6. [Cm(H2O) n ] m, n= where m and n are integer.
– Deoxy sugars such as Rhamnose C6H12O5, Acetic acid
C2H4O2. Formaldehyde HCHO, Lactic acid C3H6O3
• New definition:
Optically active Polyhydroxy aldehydes or ketones, or
substances that hydrolyze to yield polyhydroxy
aldehydes or ketones.
Sugars are white, crystalline in shape and with
sharp melting points, while polysaccharides
are white amorphous solids.
Sugars have a sweet taste. Polysaccharides